Thursday, January 18, 2018

Elephants, cobras and turbans, oh my

Lots of firsts today.  As we drove around the city of Jaipur, we stopped to look at a palace which was really nice, but the fun part for me was a guy on the sidewalk with a cobra in a basket and a flute in his hand.  I approached him right away because I had decided that if we had the chance, I wanted to hold a cobra..surprisingly I was the only one




From here we went up a small mountain to visit an ancient fort.   Our transport for the last bit of the climb was aboard  an elephant. What a bumpy ride.  Our elephants name was Sonya.  I still haven’t got the picture of Betsy and I on our elephant which was taken by someone else in our group, but this is what they all looked like.




While inside the fort we met a man with a beautiful turban.  For a small price he took it off and showed us how he puts it on in the morning.  I love the video I took of him,but can’t figure out how to put it in this post.  (Can anyone help me).  He was quite a showman   The fabric in,the turban was 9 meters long.








While in the fort we met this guy.  He had just been ordained as a priest from Kashmir   He was celebrating while traveling with his sister. They were both very friendly and talkative





This is a section of the marble floor in the fort.  I took several pictures like it.  Looks like a good pattern for a quilt







This is the fort we were visiting.  It’s amazing how many really significant things there are in the world that we have never heard of.  Travel teaches us how little we know.



1 comment: