Saturday, May 12, 2018

Visiting Klimt in Vienna

One of my goals of this trip was to learn more about Gustav Klimt. Since visiting Vienna two years ago I have been enjoying his art more and more.  Jordan and I went to a small museum very near where jordan lives that has been created in his Vienna studio. The story told by the museum summarizes the loss of art during the nazi occupation.  Below are two pics of Klimts studio complete with a copy of his painting smock on the bed.


We were sitting in Klimts garden when I started to fall asleep.  Decided it was time to return to my apartment. After two rides I emerged onto the street and didn’t recognize anything.  Confusion.  I knew I had gotten off at the right station and couldn’t figure out which way to go.  Finally I saw another entry to the subway a block away.  The station had two entries. When I walked to the other entry I was then on the right street but wasnt sure which way I needed to go on the tram.  I went into both tram stops and looked at the maps. I found my street and after only two stops I was home.

Other transit confusion happened in the morning when I was trying to buy my pass.  I wanted a two week pass, but the machine would only give me 1 week, so I bought that one.  Then I realized it didn’t start till Monday and it was Friday so I needed another 3 day pass. The machine would not let me use a 20 euro bill, so I had to get a one day pass.  Later when I met with Jordan I told him about the validation box I had seen at the first station I had been in.  Turns out I needed to slip in my one day pass to put a time stamp on it.  So I had rode illegally. The bright spot is now that 24 hour ticket will get me through the afternoon today and then I can get another 24 hour ticket to get me to Sunday evening. My not knowing what to do actually saved me 8 euro. I’m lucky my ticket was not checked on that first ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment