Friday, March 11, 2016

A day on my own in Vienna, Friday, March 10, 2016

Today jordan had a job interview at his school in the morning.  It will be a work study job in the psych office.  Then this afternoon he had to work at his job in the grocery store.  I kept trusty subway map in my coat pocket and headed for down town.  The subway system is easy to navigate. My main destination was the Leopoldo art museum.  I ended up spending 4 hours there.  It is primarily modern Austrian art.  Their main claim to fame is the large Schiele collection as well as much from Klimt


This is the most famous Klimt picture in the museum.  It's name is death and life. The one I like best, The Kiss, is somewhere else.


At first I didn't like Schiele, but he grew on me during the visit.  This is one of his self portraits.  He did several nude self portraits.  


One of his landscapes



I really liked his buildings



After four hours, lunch was required.  I ate in the Karlsplatz subway station.  


Took the subway to St Stevens platz.  Two events occurring.  The first I saw was a Samsung introduction of a new phone.  They were having drawings and giving away phones.  This drew quite a crowd. More interesting across the square was a demonstration by a Palestinian group about their decreasing amount of land.  briefly I saw two women carrying Israeli flags.  The police moved them to a different area.


To watch what was happening I went into a cafe for coffee and a view out the window. 


We were well supervised and protected.  Lots of police present


Returned to Richards home by subway to rest up for out late dinner.  I'm taking us all, including Richards mother, who does not speak english, to a Turkish restaurant for dinner.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment