Tuesday, March 15, 2016

My last day with Jordan

Jordan and I took the subway to the main train station where we got on a bus for Bratislava, the capital of Slovokia. The ride is 1 1/2 hours and the cost is $8 round trip.  Bus had sketchy wifi and the one on the way back also had movies on the back of each seat.  Amazing. 

Lots of windmills on the way.


We stopped in at a pretty swishy hotel for lunch. This is Jordan's appetizer course.  One dish has a potato/cod dish and the other a green salad. 


I had to have borsch which was delicious



This is my dessert.  It is a purée of chestnuts. Weird texture, but delicious.


Our main place to visit in Bratislava was their modern art museum, Nedbalka Gallery.   It reminded me of the Guggenheim in New York.  At the Guggenheim you ride an elevator to the top and walk a spiral down.  Here there are actually four separate floors.  The top floor is early twentieth century and by the time you get to the bottom you are in the 21st century.  There is a whole in the center so you can see to the bottom


Each door of the elevator is painted. This is the first floor elevator door


Nice shapes on the stairway


Could be a quilt


Walking street in Bratislava


We got back to Vienna by bus at about 7:30. About 10 Richard and jordan went with me to the train station. My train to Munich left at 11:55 pm. New in the trip to the railway station was a ride on a trolley. 
I got lucky in the train.  I was in a compartment for 6 by myself and was able to lock the door so I could try to sleep and not be concerned that I might wake up with new friends


At the Munich station I found a ticket kiosk and the train which heads for the airport. Amazing how much easier this was than a week ago.  United gave me a first class ticket for the ride back to Chicago. Yea!!!,

Lunch on this flight involved:

Warm nuts and Chardonnay 


Followed by chicken skewer with coriander sauce and tabbouleh salad 


Followed by zucchini and Parmesan cheese soup 


Followed by  a salad with passion fruit dressing 


Followed by Indian spiced shrimp, julienned vegetables and basmati rice


Followed by cheese, grapes and port wine


Followed by a Carmel sundae


And a cup of coffee



What a wonderful trip!  

1 comment: